RV wallpaper can get easily stained and torn out. The best thing that will keep it looking new and fresh is to decorate your RV and match wallpaper with it.
The RV decoration should also be nice and pleasant for a good experience exploring different beautiful places and making great memories. Therefore, the chosen materials for decoration should be within your budget and of good quality.
Now, what you need to know is how to match RV wallpaper.
Ways to Match RV Wallpaper
Things to Prepare for an RV wallpaper repair:
- Tape Measure
- Sponge and water
- Orange or Lemon essential oil for stubborn residues
- Step Ladder
- Smoothing Tool
- Peel and Stick Wallpaper
Option 1: Go with A Random Match
If you are a beginner in an RV, the best option you can take is a random match. This wallpaper for RV is very easy to install and repair.
There is no need to think about whether the patterns are aligned since this RV interior wallpaper consists of simple lines and minimal patterns and will not waste any wallpaper strips as they match randomly.
You can apply these RV wall coverings however you like and find most enjoyable.
Here’s the guide on how to apply a random match wallpaper to your RV wall:
- First, you need to unroll the wallpaper to flatten it for an hour or two. While waiting for the roll to be flattened, move to prepare the RV wall.
- Remove the old wallpapers carefully so that little residue is left. Then, dip the sponge in water, squeeze out the excess water and rub it onto the wall where the old wallpaper was peeled off.
- Then, you can use a measuring tape to measure the wall and mark the area with a pencil. Then, use the measurement as a reference to cut your wallpaper.
- Then, align the second drop with the first cut and match them.
- When the first two cuts match perfectly, you can now proceed with the other rolls of wallpaper and cut them. Just number each paper to avoid mixing them.
- Lastly, you can apply the wallpaper in the correct order.
Option 2: Decorate with a Drop Match
A drop match, also known as a half-drop match, is the opposite of a random match. This wallpaper for campers is intricate and requires extra care to apply properly.
A half-drop match is a type of wallpaper where the patterns repeat halfways. So, what’s best is for you to use two rolls of the same wallpaper to avoid too much waste in matching the patterns. This way you can mark each roll as odd and even.
All the odd numbers will be on the first roll, and all the even numbers will be on the second roll. For the detailed steps, read the following:
- First, flatten the two rolls of wallpaper. Wait for about an hour for the rolls to flatten.
- During that time, you can use some lemon or citrus-based essential oil to dab onto the surface where the old wallpaper residues still stick. Then, use some water and a sponge to remove all the dust on the RV wall.
- Then, measure the length of the wall where the wallpaper will be attached and cut the first roll with the same length until you cover the entire wall.
- Mark the paper with “1” together with the area in the wall where it is assigned. Do the same with the other cuts to not mix them up.
- Cut the second drop from the second wallpaper and mark it with even numbers 2, 4, 6, 8, and so on.
- Then cut the third drop, which should be the same as the first drop. Then the fourth drop will be the same as the second drop.
- Apply the wallpapers in the right sequence and decorate your wall.
Option 3: Use The Straight Across Match
Straight acros match is an intricate travel trailer wallpaper. The pattern here is in a horizontal sequence that aligns with the ceiling.
Because hanging this motorhome wallpaper is fairly challenging, be sure to consider how it will go in with the rest of your decor. So, here’s how to do it:
- Roll out the wallpaper to flatten it, then clean the wall with water or some drops of lemon essential oils.
- Cut the first drop of wallpaper and mark it.
- Match the second drop with the first one, then cut it. Make sure you leave some excess on top and bottom. Don’t forget to mark each cut.
- Cut more drops of wallpaper until you complete the wall you want to place it on.
- Apply the wallpaper in proper order and finish the RV wallpaper repair.
Tips to Match RV Wallpaper
- Remove the old wallpapers you applied and begin with a clean slate.
- Make sure not to tear the wallpaper adhered to the plywood.
- Use a peel and stick RV wallpaper. This type is incredible since it is friendly for RV walls, and is not messy stripping. It can be applied easily as well.
- Use a smoothing tool to eliminate any air pockets after applying the wallpapers.
- Buy wallpaper rolls more than what you think you need.
- You can go back to the RV stores where you buy your motorhome to know what wallpaper matches its walls.
- You must ensure that the wallpapers are measured accurately to prevent waste.
- For a cleaner look, you can add RV wallpaper seam tape. This way, the walls will look neat and finished.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of wallpaper do you use for an RV?
Tiny campers go into different places and face events that can tear it. It is suggested that you use wallpapers that can be removed and replaced easily.
The best choice includes Prepasted Removable Smooth and Peel and Stick Removable Woven.
- Peel and Stick Removable Woven is a fabric-based material with an adhesive at the back for easy use. After removing its cover at the back, you can apply it to your walls.
- Prepasted Removable Smooth, on the other hand, is a type of wallpaper in paper material that is also removable. Its backing is made of water-activated adhesive but adheres well to the wall.
Can I wallpaper over RV wallpaper?
Yes, you can put wallpaper over RV wallpaper. Renovated RV will always make you excited to travel.
However, you must ensure that those wallpapers are safe to use and RV-friendly.
Do peel and stick wallpaper work in RVs?
Because peel-and-stick wallpapers are easy to use, this is used by most campers. It does not contain any toxic chemicals that are safe for kids and adults camping. This RV wallpaper repair method is creative and cheaper than other wallpapers.
Can I paint over the RV wallpaper?
Painting over RV wallpaper is another way to upgrade the motorhome. Most RVs are made from luan plywood sheets and have non removable wallpaper, so painting it over would be fine.
You can remove the camper wallpaper border if it is not your liking. Then, prepare the space by covering the floor and sanding the walls so that paint will adhere nicely to them. Lastly, do the painting.
Here are the suggestions on how to match RV wallpaper. Upgrading your RV walls’ look of your RV walls will change how you feel about the motorhome. Not only will it look creative, but doing so will make the RV fun-filled and stunning.
Choose the wallpaper pattern that you like and have fun decorating it. Applying it to the wall seems systemic but it’s easier than you think. Enjoy!
“Hi, I’m Francis’ husband—Calvin. Our story began with our shared passion for traveling. I have had a career journey for over 11 years at Ford Motor Company, where I took on the role of BMS SW Process Engineer.
Together with my wife, I have dedicated countless hours to exploring every nook and corner of the world. Ten years living in an RV may seem long, but time seems to fly by when I’m doing what I love with the person I love.
Like my wife, I hope to help you see the beauty of traveling off the beaten path by sharing insights into this lifestyle. In addition to my corporate roles, I also launched our website – Outdoorbits, in 2015 and continue to contribute my knowledge and skills to the present day. And I’ll be completely honest with you—no hiding the truth or sugarcoating the possible challenges.
So, if you want to run away from the busy lifestyle to embrace nature, I’m your guy.”